Thursday, April 30, 2015

WHAT IS BALAYAGE?

Well, It all started yesterday. I was on instagram and came across lovely_deseret 's  (fashion blogger) page and she posted this dazzling picture of her hair color she just recently had done. The description underneath the photo said, "My rose gold balayage". Balayage? What the heck is that?! How do you even say that?! Apparently I've been living under a rock! I guess this was super popular last year and is here to stay awhile!

Now, after a little research, I am here to help you understand why balayage is the most seen hair technique done on celebs! 

Ready? Ok!

This is how to pronounce it. You're welcome:

Balayage-  Taken from the french word meaning "to sweep". Balayage is a freehand highlighting technique. The lightener is hand painted on. It gives a very natural looking effect compared to regular foil highlights that are very uniform and precise. With this technique, your highlights are more at random, not systematically placed which causes your hair to have no drop off or line (there shouldn't be an actual line in any ombre, but you get what I mean.) of where the hair gets lighter giving you a very natural, beachy, and sun kissed look. It is a very customizable technique that can give you many different results!

What I love is the balayage ombre look! You still get the look of our beloved ombre (where the hair fades into another color generally dark near the roots to light at the ends), but with the balayage technique which will give a more natural look.

Here are a couple videos I found that I felt best depicted the balayage technique:


Guy Tang goes into a little more detail on how he helps his clients get the perfect balayage ombre look!


Here are some of my favorite balayage looks!

See (pic. below) how the highlights are more random? Some go up a little more than others and the highlights are very sporadic. Which I LOVE because it gives your hair a more natural and imperfectly perfect look... rather than a regular ombre without the bayalage technique which gives the your hair color have a drop off or line (not an actual abrupt line, but you know what I mean!) from where your hair starts to fade into the next color.

 Balayage is pretty low maintenance. It gives you softer, less noticeable regrowth lines and it also gives you longer wear in between appointments.

Looks great on dark hair! As for what color to go for with your highlights? It's really up to you and your colorist, but what I hear is 2-3 shades lighter than your natural hair color is best (and easiest to explain to your colorist if you're like me and don't know all the proper names and numbers of hair colors) if you want a natural look that will really brighten up your skin tone. 


This is my favorite! Remember the fabulous blogger I told you about earlier? Well, this was her inspiration picture! Isn't Rose Gold amazing on a brunette?! Fantastica!

What do you think? Are you going to ask your hairstylist for the balayage technique to be done on your hair? Is it a nay or yay?! I think a YAY! I totally love it :) I am definitely going to see if my colorist will balayage my mane! 

XOXO 

-Gossip Girl...Jk, I've just always wanted to say that. Ha ha!

Uuuummma!

-ChicHulaGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment