Monday, January 18, 2016

PERSONAL PROGRESS ADVISOR

HAPPY 2016, HULA GIRLS!!!!

Today I am posting about my church calling. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we have the privilege to serve others in various "callings" . Did I mention we do this on our own time and our own free will WITHOUT pay? (click here for more on why we do not get paid and why that's ok!)

I was previously called to be the pianist in primary where I got to play fun, spiritual and uplifting songs as well as hear the sweet voices of young children every Sunday! It was the BEST! You would not believe the nose picking that went on...or maybe you would. ;)

 Now, (more like 4 months ago) I have been called to work with the Young Women in our ward (local congregation). As the Personal Progress Advisor I am basically there to encourage, answer questions, be their #1 fan, and "help them prayerfully choose goals that will help them to cultivate feminine attributes, strengthen their testimony, and reach their divine potential".

I love to perform on a big stage, but for some reason when I get in front of these girls each Sunday, I get SO nervous. I feel so much pressure to say something inspirational and meaningful because I just want these girls to succeed and be inspired to better themselves and to Come Unto Christ. I struggle a little following the spirit because I like to have things written and planned out! Almost rehearsed, if you will. I also strongly DISLIKE long awkward pauses of silence. Ha ha! So, teaching with the spirit and really listening with an open heart and mind for inspiration is something I am trying to work on; which is just ONE of the many reasons why I think this calling is for me to learn and grow. I have learned SO much from being around these young women. I think I am in there so that they can help ME grow to be a better mother, wife, and daughter of God.

This year the Youth in our church are focusing on The BOOK of MORMON  and had the idea to print out this "Read The BOOK of MORMON in 90 DAYS" schedule and put it in a dollar tree frame, so that I can set it up on my nightstand and check off my reading as I go. It has what I need to read each day in order to read the Book of Mormon in 90 Days!


(see on instagram)
FREE printable found here
This is an older photo from earlier this month. I promise I am caught up! :D

Just use a dry erase marker and TA-DA! You are free to use over and Over and OVER AGAIN! I have a calendar in a picture frame as well. It's very customizable. 


This has been working out amazingly well for me! Have I read each day without having to catch up? Definitely, NOT! Ha ha! BUT, it's working and I can already feel and see a difference in the way my day goes when I read, opposed to when I miss a day and have to do a little catching up ;) . Hey, nobody's perfect! 

As the Personal Progress Advisor I am also there to help motivate the girls and just get them to think about their Personal Progress. I came up with the idea of a "Personal Progress Giveaway" where I have a special gift for whomever gets the most Personal Progress (PP) done in a month! So, the girls go for 3 weeks and on the 4th week, I announce the WINNER! This is the first month I have tried it and well, It's been OK. You know teenagers and their ability to express any emotion. Ha ha! ;) 
A lady in our ward even donated a FREE haircut! FREE HAIRCUT, PEOPLE!!!! But, sadly, the girls haven't really jumped to the occasion. Don't get me wrong, a few have definitely done some Personal Progress but, not as many girls have gotten some PP done as I had hoped. It's our 3rd week now and I think I will try one more month and see how it goes ;). Maybe when they see the winner actually get their prize it'll hit them and they'll be a little more motivated?! I hope! We'll, see. At least I'm trying, RIGHT? Ha ha! 

(created this on picmonkey.com)


I will be sure to keep you updated (for those who are interested) on how the PP Giveaway goes! PLEASE feel free to share in the comments ANY ideas of how I can help make Personal Progress more motivating for my girls! 

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment